We Card Can Help You Understand The FDA Requirements
You may think that carding under 27 year old customers and denying illegal sales to minors means your store is in full compliance with FDA regulations.
But there's a lot more to it than that.
Introducing We Card's Understanding FDA Requirements -- Download Now
We've condensed the FDA compliance information to assist tobacco retailers in their efforts to meet compliance requirements.
Keep in mind that we are not lawyers, and won't speak for regulators, but we can try to help retailers.
We hope you will find this Summary helpful.
We started the process here at We Card so we could figure what we needed to know before we moved to update We Card's online training program. Wading through the regulations and language details was time-consuming, and it became immediately obvious that we should get this information out to retailers to help them better understand what's expected.
The Summary's sources include the federal law the Tobacco Control Act, FDA Guidance Tobacco Retailer Training Programs Sept 2013 - (15 pages) and Compliance with Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents August 2013 - (33 pages).
Keep in mind we're not providing legal advice here. We encourage you to read through all the government documents -- particularly if you need further clarification -- but we do hope the Summary is useful to your overall responsible retailing efforts.
Other news: The publicly available FDA enforcement data thru 12/31/13 shows:
- more than 117,000 compliance checks completed in 2013 (exceeding 2012's 95,000 checks)
- more than 249,000 compliance checks have been completed from 2010 to Dec. 2013
- the average FDA fine is $657 (civil money penalties pursued by FDA)
- 42 states including D.C. have FDA enforcement contracts. (3 US Territories have contracts)
- 47 states plus D.C. show enforcement activity
- Alaska, Oregon and Wyoming are the only states with no enforcement activity
- Vermont is the most recent state to show enforcement activity
See We Card's analysis of FDA enforcement data for more information.
All the best,
The We Card Program, Inc.
© 2014 Copyright - The We Card Program, Inc. All Rights Reserved.